Preclinical study for treatment of hypospadias by advanced therapy medicinal products
Sceberras V, Attico E, Bianchi E, Galaverni G, Melonari M, Corradini F, Fantacci M, Ribbene A, Losi L, Balò S, Lazzeri M, Trombetta C, Rizzo M, Manfredini R, Barbagli G, Pellegrini G.
Purpose: This paper explores the feasibility of a new therapy for the treatment of hypospadias patients. Hypospadias is a very common congenital malformation of male genitals, with very high rate of recurrences after surgery. The field of regenerative medicine, which offers innovative solutions for many pathologies, still does not offer reliable solution for this pathology. Here, we propose quality, safety, and clinical feasibility assessment for an oral mucosa advanced therapy medicinal product (ATMP) grown on a biocompatible scaffold for a clinical study on urethral reconstruction of hypospadias patients.
Methods: Urethral and oral mucosal epithelia from donor biopsies were cultivated between two fibrin layers, under clinical-grade conditions for cell and tissue characterization and comparison, aimed at tissue engineering. In addition, single-clone analyses were performed to analyze gene expression profiles of the two epithelia by microarray technology.
Results: Oral mucosa appeared suitable for urethral reconstruction. The resulting ATMP was proven to maintain stem cells and regenerative potency. The preclinical safety studies were performed on human tissues to assess abnormalities and tumorigenicity, and confirmed the safety of the ATMP. Finally, the patient selection and the clinical protocol for the upcoming clinical trial were defined.
Conclusions: Against this backdrop, in this paper, we are proposing a new reproducible and reliable ATMP for the treatment of hypospadias.
World J Urol. 2019 Jul 9.
- Farmacologi di Newcastle collaborano con una biotech italiana per fornire l’accesso a un trattamento salva-vista in Inghilterra
- Holostem Terapie Avanzate: avviato il percorso di trasformazione in Fondazione
- The Growing Medical Need for Tracheal Replacement: Reconstructive Strategies Should Overcome Their Limits
- Epidermolisi bollosa, in Azienda Ospedaliero – Universitaria di Modena nasce un PDTA che integra oltre 30 specialità
- Terapia genica per i bambini farfalla, confermati i risultati